Monday, October 26, 2009

"I'm Bored"

Last week SkyNews, a U.K. online news Web site, published an article that made a connection between children being bored and children being an only child. I’m not entire sure how the author got from point A to point B, but he did.

Here’s a sampling of the article, which I found offensive:

“Evidence suggests siblings save kids from 'risky' behaviour. They can provide the sympathetic ear parents sometimes fail to offer. They can prevent bullying, by active intervention, or old-fashioned snitching. They can act in loco parentis. They provide a ready supply of 'playdates' without ever leaving home.” You can read the entire post here.

Perhaps I was feeling overly sensitive after a week of hearing JJ say over and over again, “I’m bored.” We have been on a campaign to turn off the TV more and find other things to do. It seems we have fallen into this bad habit of JJ turning on the TV after school and only turn it off long enough to do homework, which isn’t very long since she is only in second grade.

It has been a painful transition for JJ and for us. Last week every time we shut off the TV, JJ would just sit in the chair in front of the TV and look longingly at the blank screen. I would suggest she find something else to do, I would point out she was wasting time that she could be doing any number of fun things. I would offer to play a game with her. I would offer to read Harry Potter to her.

But all she would say over and over again is “I’m bored.”

And, of course, as an only child myself I would remember being bored. I would remember days in the summer that would feel like there was nothing to do but wait for the day to end.

But, somehow, even after a week of “I’m bored,” we got through the weekend without a single utterance of the phrase.

Friday night after dinner and JJ’s favorite TV show, Endurance, we baked chocolate chip cookies, listened to music and danced around the house.

Saturday afternoon, we went to the library and then to the Air and Space Museum’s Air and Scare event.

Sunday we went to church and then hiked the Billy Goat Trail with friends. And, I was amazed at how JJ scrambled over the rocky trail with absolutely no fear while I hesitated and froze with every step. I think I found what will keep JJ from being bored. I just don’t think I, or my husband, have the physical endurance to go along with her.

Tell me what you do to keep your only child away from the TV. Do you think all only children are bored?

8 comments:

  1. I too am the parent of an only child. I was somewhat 'an only' because my brothers were 10 and 13 years older than me. It seems these days parents need to be 'inventive' to keep the children entertained, perhaps because we live in a now society with less imagination? I don't know but we have many things in our home to help fight the "I'm bored" statement but we still hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids will always say I'm bored. I remember my sibs and I saying that and there were 8 of us!! We don't let our daughter have any video games but we do let her watch way too much TV. A lot of the time that the TV is on though, she is doing something else. She draws a lot...I've set up crayons, markers, pencil, tape, paper etc in the TV room so she can create as she likes. She always wants to make something. Legos are also good. She loves to cut things up and tape things too. As soon as she can read well I think the boredom problem will lessen. I also want to set up more playdates after school. I could shoot the author of the article you cite. What BS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Your daughter sounds like mine, full of get-up-and-go!

    I have a sibling and also got bored during school breaks -- plus, I've heard plenty of stories from friends about vacations being the worst because of constant sibling fighting.

    I guess I like to see the silver lining of being a family of three -- today my daughter and I spent a relaxed morning picking blueberries and just made and popped a homemade pie in the oven ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the information. That’s a awesome article you posted. I found the post very useful as well as interesting. I will come back to read some more.
    Only Child

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa ,
    Interesting post:)
    My only child 13 year old is always asking as how to make fiend sand is very uncomfortable in group dynamics plus like to have one friend at a time but is devastated if that friend moves on as she feels very lonely especially in school.
    In home, she chooses to do lots of other activities if not tv .
    Keep writing
    neetu

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s great article as usual. You always write brief and informative articles. That’s why I,m your fan. My name is Awais

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this interesting blog with us. My pleasure to being here on your blog. I wanna come back here for new post from your site. Legal Translation in Dubai

    ReplyDelete

  8. Communication Legal Translation offers high quality Legal Translation services in Dubai. Call +97142663517 to know more about our services
    https://communicationdubai.com

    ReplyDelete